How can we improve about.me?

Personal URL / Domain Name Support

The ability to use our own domain names to show our About.me page (via CNAME etc.), rather than having to use a redirect from a current domain name.

3,129 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    digitalpardoedigitalpardoe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    woganwogan shared a merged idea: Allow for custom domains  ·   · 
    dlheidemanndlheidemann shared a merged idea: Profile statistics from forwarding dot com  ·   · 
    RossGoodmanRossGoodman shared a merged idea: The ability to replace the "About" page on my self hosted Wordpress blog with my about.me page.  ·   · 
    sanjasanja shared a merged idea: several aliases pointing to the single profile  ·   · 
    szymanskimikolajszymanskimikolaj shared a merged idea: Is it possible to connect about.me profile with .pl domain? Any tips?  ·   · 
    demiansellforsdemiansellfors shared a merged idea: Allow domian-mapping  ·   · 
    mtoddmtodd shared a merged idea: Tumblr service doesn't support domain names  ·   · 
    eliseelise shared a merged idea: Custom domains?  ·   · 

172 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SkipperSkipper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So can I register a .me or .me.uk with a third party and link it to my about.me account?

• olegshparberolegshparber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Namecheap now offers .me domains for $0.98 for the first year and then $18.99/yr, so it's much cheaper than paying $4/month for premium subscription.

• quintisventer (pro)quintisventer (pro) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In trying two register the custom domain name, I get the incomprehensible "Order has not been Declined because Maximum risk factor..." validation error. Please help...

• KhurtKhurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What confused me is the use of the word FREE several times in the marketing email but ... then the use of the word upgrade once.

The domain is FREE if I UPGRADE to a $4/month plan? So … you want users to pay for a FREE domain?

• jyyjyy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with dpulcrano - price point is too high. I'd be willing to pay a lower annual fee for just the personal URL without the other features.

Even with the "free .ME domain" offer, it's cheaper to get a .ME or other domain name and have it as a forwarder than pay the $4/month ($48/yr).

• les.kinch (pro)les.kinch (pro) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to create my FREE .me domain, doesn't matter what I input for details it comes up with

...Please Try Again, Promo Code completed...

This is in Firefox and Opera so, its not a browser issue.

• dpulcranodpulcrano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that they're nice features, but think price point too high. Either add value or lower price and see more people convert to paid.

• guildworksIAbraham (pro)guildworksIAbraham (pro) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ryan- is the custom domain supposed to still show the root EX about.me/personal domain name ? is this correct, or is there a way to masque "about me" from the URL bar?

ALSO-- when I go to share thru FB, the auto thumbnail is NOT the correct background image of the page--it's the default background image from about me setup. PLEASE ADVISE ASAP

• margomillure (pro)margomillure (pro) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trying to set this up for days. Hopefully, I've got it right now. FYI for anyone following the Bluehost instructions - the IP address on the instructions for Bluehost is incorrect. (it's missing the number "2" at the end).

• Kevin RicottaKevin Ricotta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the domain feature is still in early access only. If you got an upgrade email then you should be able to proceed.

• arpitworldarpitworld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not see the green upgrade button that you talk about.
        Is it available to all users from all countries? or only selected users?

• Rishad BharuchaRishad Bharucha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot see an option to upgrade my about.me account. Has the domain mapping feature been taken down temporarily or something?

• Kevin RicottaKevin Ricotta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@arpitworld

When you sign-in to your about.me page there should be an green upgrade button at the middle top of the screen.

• arpitworldarpitworld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to the article that Stephen Judge has mentioned, I need to upgrade my account.
        How do I do that??

• joeymink (pro)joeymink (pro) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for offering premium and supporting custom domain names! I upgraded and filled out the premium settings form, but shouldn't I have to exchange name server settings between you and my registrar in order to actually get this working? Simply entering the domain name into your form seems too easy...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
      About.me logo

Feedback and Knowledge Base